From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2011 13:21:58 -0500
Hi Irene,

What you describe is fairly common, but honestly the mix of tasks handled by
records folks vs. secretaries (and even paralegals) can vary dramatically
across firms - even firms of similar size and practice mix.  I have seen
firms like yours in which the records staff does all of the loose filing,
and firms like yours where they do no loose filing.

The benefit to the firm for having records staff do the filing is they are
generally lower-paid resources than a legal secretary.  That frees up
secretaries to work on more complex tasks and to support more attorneys.

Are you also doing pleadings indexing?  That is another common task handed
to records folks to free up secretarial time.

I'm not sure if you are looking for anything other than validation, but if
you have a more specific question I'd be happy to chat with you.

Best,
Julie

--
Julie J. Colgan, CRM