From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:45:14 -0400
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 Wendy Glickman <[log in to unmask]> queried:

>My department is looking into the pros and cons of migrating our
>Documentum system to Sharepoint 2010 in order to consolidate records
>and security parameters into one system, both for management purposes
>and the user experience.  If anyone has done this or has an opinion, I
>would appreciate hearing what would be gained and lost by doing so.
>
>And if we are crazy for even thinking this, please let me know that as
well. : )

It would be HIGHLY inappropriate for anyone to use the term 'crazy' to
describe the actions or considerations of a professional colleague, but I'd
have to question any thoughts of doing this.  If you read most case studies,
CMS implementations generally go the other way, choosing to (for whatever
reason) to bolt-on MOSS to a more robust application capable to doing
everything an organization may want to do, and much more.

As you mentioned in the balance of your post, you're not using all of the
features available to you in Documentum, and there is no question it is a
'feature rich' product- so much so that some organizations find implementing
and managing it more than they want to do.

In your case, you've already made the investment and I can guarantee you
"MOSS out of the box" WILL NOT meet your needs.  You will find it necessary
to add modules, 3rd party products and do a ton of customizing (or more
likely, hire an integrator to do it) and you STILL will need to manage the
implementation and provide ongoing care and feeding for it.

A lot of $$ was spent purchasing and implementing Documentum, not to mention
the licensing and support fees- and it's not like you'll be able to sell it
on Craigslist and recover your investment. =)  And it's not like you own a
CMS "Yugo", there are plenty of others who have installations that can
assist you in tweaking it to do what you want.

>We are still considering sticking with Documentum and implementing
>RPS, so hearing about the merits of RPS vs. Sharepoint RM would be
>helpful as well.

Hopefully, someone will be able to weigh-in on the merits of RPS vs. MOSS
for you... but make sure whoever it is, they are coming from a USER and
OWNER of the product perspective, not a sales, implementer, or other
perspective.  There are plenty of them out there, so caveat emptor.

Larry