From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:02:47 -0400
Sounds sorta like a wiretap situation, where IIRC, subpoenas are required in most cases, though some couts are holding not that putting a GPS transmitting device on a vehicle and tracking it that way is OK since in theory police could tail you on public streets anyway.

When I was the customer service person and records officer for a department in a municipal government, I would give people who asked, reasonable amounts of public information because it was public and not a major cost.  People did not ask for voluminous amounts.

When we did receive a FOIA request I had to process an estimate according to procedures and that did include my time to search, research and copy, the cost of my supervisor to review, and then review by the director or deputy director (she was an attorney).  The costs would add up and I do not ever remember filling a true FOIA request in some 6.5 years in that position.  Of course this was pre-electronic records/ email in that office.  I'm sure the costs would be higher now.

Tod