From:
Newman Drego Cristina VANM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2011 16:43:36 +0000
Todd,
It also depends on if your office is also the platform owner, or if you're relying heavily on IT to do a large portion of the day-to-day maintenance activities.  Users should be declaring their own records undoubtedly.  In my last organization, we identified an administrator as having the authority to manage security roles, respond to access requests, assist users when they have declared records in error, maintain classification and retention schedules in the system as necessary, among other such activities.  You may also want to consider if your office or IT will  be maintaining a Help Desk.  If you have to pay IT or an IT contractor to administer the system, it could be more worthwhile to simply hire personnel, plus then you wouldn't have to translate every RM activity into IT speak.

Cristina Newman Drego

PS- this is my second post in two weeks; I should probably introduce myself.  Graduated last year from the MAS program at the University of British Columbia.  I've been working as an RM consultant for the past year and have recently accepted the position of Supervisor, Records Management at an mining company based in Vancouver.