From:
Stephanie Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2011 13:20:13 -0400
I am not sure which ECM product is being used but I would suggest using
the systems versioning capabilities which typically can link the drafts to
the final record and therefore automatically destroy all versions with the
record.  This typically will require check-in/check-out functionality so
there may be some process changes and training needed.  Also I would
suggest applying policies in the system to unofficial documents as well.
There is no legal reason to keep this information and most of it is
transitory that can be destroyed quickly.  Since the court does not care
whether the information is an official record or unofficial document you
could potential be required to review and turn over the information due to
litigation.

Of course there is the chance this is a separate module for your ECM
system and may require additional funds which may or may not be an option.