From:
"Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:22:36 -0500
Pilar,
In answer to your question about maintaining internal records about your firm's information in an internal database vs. relying on the storage vendor's database, I don't have any specific reference materials for you, here are some of my thoughts in support of the maintenance of the internal database:
*       Provides a check against errors in the vendor's system and a way to audit their billing, etc.
*       May provide additional detail your organization requires which is not included in the vendor database.
*       May provide additional functionality not offered by the vendor (generation of disposition notices, legal holds, etc.).
*       Provides a way to keep confidential information about your records entirely under your control (i.e., there may be certain information related to matters that your organization feels does not need to be stored outside the organization)

I definitely want to keep my own copies of the information which have value to me.  I just think that your internal records may serve a different, but complementary purpose to the vendors.

Mary Hilliard, CRM