Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2011 15:49:10 -0500
Revealing the last four digits can compromise one's security.  Here's why:
  -- Social security numbers are (or at least, used to be) issued in
sequence by each SS office.  That means an office might issue 999,999
cards with the same first three numbers.
   -- If a thief can identify the approximate time and place a SSN was
issued, (such as a birthplace and year) they may discover the first
three numbers
   -- If the thief also obtains the last four numbers, which many people
freely give, there are only 99 combinations to try before cracking the code.

The chances of this happening may be slight, but I still think that
revealing one's last four digits compromises one's security.

Just my two cents....

Gordy
Gordon E.J. Hoke, CRM
Plainview, Minnesota, USA