From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2011 12:36:12 -0400
Excellent report, which starts out highlighting the demographics of the
respondents to the survey, which leaves little question as to the value of
the findings.

http://goo.gl/5NzHS

That said, these numbers are rather staggering and I know they are not
representative of any organization I've worked in or had as a client.

Key findings include:

98% of organizations reported rapid information growth that they predict
will extend into the future and that growth is creating a variety of
challenges and consequences.

Half of the respondents indicated they are forced to recreate information
previously created because they cannot find it.

74% of the organizations stated valuable information is being lost (i.e.
can’t find, disposed of, misplaced) due to the lack of proper technology
solutions.

73% of respondents reported their organization misses business opportunities
because they can’t efficiently access information.

I'm not sure that the reason for these problems can all be laid at the feet
of failed technology to support classification of information, however, the
vast quantities of information ingested into and created by organizations
does require more diligence on their part when it comes to putting it away.

Good job by the CIAC and its chairman, Randy Kahn.

Larry