From:
Gus Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2011 14:26:05 -0600
Well it's been awhile since I chimed in here but the mention of
electronic records makes me think of an article I read today on msnbc
about Romney and former staff destroying electronic records.  See:

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/16/9481422-romneys-missing-hard-drives-raise-questions-over-government-records

First, I have to wonder if this article is just poorly researched
since it seems to indicate that in Mass. "digital information" can
simply be erased/destroyed without any kind of retention applicable
nor any disposition documentation.  Surely it is recognized, as is
common records management principle, that the "form" a record is in is
irrelevant.....it's still a "record"....same retention, etc.  But this
article seems to state otherwise.  And here in Florida of course we
recognize some email as "Transitory Messages" but we certainly don't
throw a blanket around all email and label it as such...since the
reality is that much email is not simply "transitory messages" but
constitutes various other kinds of "records."

Also, one of the comments below the article was something like "well
since email is like a conversation it shouldn't be required to ever be
kept."  Just shows us the usual lack of knowledge alot of folks have
about "records" and records management!

Guess all of us records managers just have to keep on teaching!

Gus Harris
Records Manager
Univ. of West Florida
Pensacola, FL