From:
Frederic Grevin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2012 19:50:49 -0400
Sorry--message sent prematurely. Here's the complete message.

Cathy said "Estimated lifespan of the remaining documents has not been defined but I assume these will be more or less permanent"

In that case, you should seriously consider an OAIS-compliant digital repository, such as FEDORA (http://fedoraproject.org/) or DSpace (http://www.dspace.org/). Both systems, and others like them, are designed for digital preservation. Most Document Management and Content Management systems are not.

FYI, the Open Archival Information System Reference Model is the international standard (ISO 14721:2003, see http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=24683) for designing digital repositories for long-term and permanent records. BTW, you can get a copy of the final draft of OAIS from http://public.ccsds.org/publications/archive/650x0b1.pdf

And also "the volume has yet to be determined". I would be extremely cautious of acquiring ANY digital repository BEFORE getting your arms around the volume. Scale matters, in many ways.

HOWEVER, in your following message, Cathy, you stated these are "minor company documents".

I really do not understand why you are bothering to convert "minor" documents. There isn't likely to be any economic basis for both acquiring a digital repository and performing a complete backfile conversion. Storing paper---especially "minor" documents---is MUCH cheaper than performing a backfile conversion and setting up a repository for the digitised documents.

Fred