From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 14:05:04 -0500
I support most all of Hugh's comments. However, I think the bigger picture
is that some individuals want to push their political agendas by using
Public Records to personally attack or attempt to embarrass individuals with
whom they disagree. This difference in political tactics has been
extensively discussed on Fox News due to their well-known support for Fair
and Balanced debate - having both sides of an issue generally addressed
without spin and personal attacks. Conservatives also personally attack
people for their opinions at times, as well, but it seems more common coming
from those on the left. The media research institutes have this thoroughly
documented. However, any blatantly partisan slanting or misuse of public
information should be questioned. The challenge is that Public Records are
(hopefully accurate) facts, but their use can and should be questioned at
times.

The newspaper in Memphis Tennessee (another liberal Democrat editor) pulled
this stunt with similar effect a few years ago. Gun ownership opponents
thought it was great. Gun owners were furious at their invasion of privacy
by the alleged misuse of Public Records. The pros and cons about "knowing"
where some individuals owned firearms based on concealed carry permits was
debated then as well - knowing who had personal protection guns could make
the houses subject to break in, or more likely, make other individuals homes
more likely to be broken into due to the lack of their owning a handgun for
concealed carry. Etc. Etc.  I personally do have a concealed carry permit
and it does not bother me if someone wants to put my name in a newspaper. It
says much more about the publishers' tactics in promoting their political
agendas than it does about me. And I can tell you from personal experience
that "when seconds count, the police are minutes away."  35 minutes to be
exact, after a 911 call to get a Sheriff's deputy to arrive on the scene,
when I had to intervene once in a domestic dispute taking place on a public
roadway. But, that debate, and the debate about media-promoted senseless
violence, is best pursued in other discussion forums, so don't get me
started.

There is a bigger issue here than guns and concealed carry permits. It has
to do with the use/misuse of Public Records to push political agendas and
attack those with whom we may disagree. It also is clear evidence that just
because something is legal does not make it the right thing to do. We now
limit access to the architectural diagrams of the hallways in many public
buildings, for instance, because the information presents a potential
security risk for individuals using those hallways. The concept of "need to
know", as most of us are aware, indicates that there are consequences for
distributing information that exceeds the seemingly simple value of some
information. So, the debate in this case, is now centering around the intent
of publisher in publishing the records vs the right to privacy of
individuals about their lifestyles or personally legal decisions, rather
than the actual value of the records in informing the public about any
alleged danger from gun owners.  It might be shown by some "think tanks"
research that houses having alcoholic beverages stored within pose a
statistically significant increased danger to children, even though the
individuals in those houses have a right to buy and consume those beverages.
Does this mean we need to perform publically funded records tracking of all
alcoholic beverage purchases and put those people's addresses on a Google
map? Mothers Against Drunk Drivers might lobby for such legislation and
publication. Is this really a good use of Public Records? Or a
not-so-cleverly-disguised attempt to use Public Records and funding to
promote a personal perspective?

Fortunately , Records Managers can offer a balanced approach to managing
records based on the declared Value (content) of the records and their
associated retention requirements. Who better to explain that there are
Privacy, cost of creation, cost of storage, and cost of retrieval issues, as
well as,  potential misuse consequences, from Public Records laws and
retention requirements? But it must be a debate about records issues, costs,
and values, not political agendas.

John

John Phillips
Information Technology Decisions