From:
Todd Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:50:53 -0600
Fred said: "So let's see:  according to consultant Zurcher (with apologies
to Todd and others, who may see fit to disagree), the ENTIRE PIPELINE
INDUSTRY has HORRIBLE records management practices, so that makes it OK—not
only for PG&E, but for also for the other players in the industry?"

It sounds like a good defense to me. If we could all just agree to be
mediocre then it would sure take a lot of the stress out of our jobs.

Seriously, I think it shows some desperation to say, "we may have been bad,
but so was everyone else." On the other hand, hypothetically let's say all
pipeline companies measure in at a Level 2 (In Development) on the
Information Governance Maturity Model. If it is shown that PG&E also came
in at a Level 2, should they be punished for coming in at a 2? Should all
companies at that level be punished similarly?

Obviously there is no way of tracking or enforcing this so unfortunately
for PG&E, they are in the spotlight for an issue that may have been
prevalent throughout the industry. We also don't want to forget the eight
individuals who lost their lives in this tragedy or the immense amount of
property damage many incurred.

Todd P. Johnson, CRM, CIP, ERMm
Manager - Records & Information Management
Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline