From:
Pilar McAdam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 18:06:41 +0000
Glenn Fischer asked:

> I'm curious to know if anyone has taken the Electronic Records Management
> (ERM) Training Program (eLeaning version) offered by AIIM.

I took the full ERM Master program a number of years ago. My report on its value is mixed. The teacher for our week-long class was Jesse Wilkins, and that always promises excellent content as well as dynamic discussions.

Pro - The materials were a good overview of the stages in an ERM project, and I've certainly referenced those materials at times. The certification exam (taken after completion of the class) was pretty thorough, and included both multiple choice and essay segments; definitely NOT quick-and-easy to pass, and when you pass you get to put 'ERMm' after your name.

Con - It was very expensive. I worked for a very large corporation at the time, with a manager who was willing to invest in employee education. However, I know many people who could not get approval for such a pricey program. Additionally, much of the content was general project management info, which not everyone may want.

Overall, if money is available, it's not a bad program. But, I hesitate to recommend it without reservations because I can't say that it's proven particularly worthwhile to my professional development.

(I do expect Jesse to respond, and am interested in his perspective.)

One woman's opinion.

Pilar C. McAdam, CRM, ERMm
Los Angeles, CA