From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2013 09:13:25 -0700
We're going to be using Box.com as a transitional repository for sharing documents. Clearly, over time, Box will become a de facto records repository. We are trying to head that off at the pass, but Box.com is a bit behind the curve. No offense to them intended. They get the records management and e-discovery issues -- they simply don't have a solution as yet. So I will give them credit for being conversant with the issues.

Box.com offers both universal and user tags. In theory, you could create a set of tags that would ultimately translate to retention periods. They are leaning towards a "big bucket" approach to retention, with perhaps up to ten retention periods (clearly, event-based retention periods will be a problem).

They are also looking at some hybrid models where they are the storage repository, but a more robust document management system interfaces with the user.

Among the companies in this space, Box.com is th only one who seems to "get" RIM requirements. No solution yet.

Also, note that "Box.com" is a different company from "Dropbox.com".

Patrick Cunningham, CIP, FAI

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell