From:
"Isaacs, Leigh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2013 19:02:25 +0000
Larry wrote..."Do Law Firms have a universal definition of a "vault" and what protections
and practices are associated with items retained in this environment?  Is
it based on laws, regulations or simply 'best practices'?"

Given that I've spent my entire career in law firms, I admit I got a bit of a chuckle out of this one!  My law firm colleagues may disagree, but much like other things in law firms, there tends not to be so much a universal definition.  I believe there is a universal understanding that there are items that should be maintained differently, and more securely than other items.  However, how that understanding is translated and applied may, and likely does, vary from firm to firm.  I have worked at a firm where vault truly meant vault in the traditional sense.  I have also worked at a firm where the "vault" was a locked filing cabinet in a locked room (yes, I had a bit of concern about this approach...).

As to Irene's initial question, these documents/items are tracked in our records management system as are any other documents and files.  The vaults are set up as specific locations within the records management system so that the contents can be associated directly with them.  Security settings can be applied as necessary or desired, and requests for access go through the records department so that they can be checked in and out of the records management system.  This approach also allows us to generate reports and reminders.

Hope this helps.

Leigh Isaacs
Washington, DC

IRS Circular 230 disclosure: To ensure compliance with requirements
imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any tax advice contained in this
communication, unless expressly stated otherwise, was not intended or
written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding
tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matter(s)
addressed herein.
NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: THIS E-MAIL IS MEANT FOR ONLY
THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THE TRANSMISSION, AND
MAY BE A COMMUNICATION PRIVILEGED BY LAW. IF YOU
RECEIVED THIS E- MAIL IN ERROR, ANY REVIEW, USE,
DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS
E-MAIL IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. PLEASE NOTIFY US
IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND
PLEASE DELETE THIS MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR COOPERATION.
For more information about Orrick, please visit http://www.orrick.com/<http://www.orrick.com>