From:
Dwight WALLIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2013 09:17:36 -0700
Kelly, we treat the content of a database as a record (if it is, in fact,
the record copy of the content). However, we handle that content in
different ways, depending on the nature of the database/application
concerned.

For example, we regularly accession into our digital repository inactive
databases. Typically, these are databases which have not seen activity for
some time. IT shares that information with us, at which point we identify
content, most likely function, custodianship, and retention. With the
involvement of the custodian, we accession the database and either store it
until the retention has expired, or dispose of it following our normal
destruction procedure. IT loves this process, as it helps clear their
servers of inactive content in a manner that is compliant with public
records law. The custodians love the fact that we involved them in the
process. I'm happy with the way it involves us as subject matter experts in
this area (and I have to give a shout out to Jenny Mundy, who is the person
on our staff most responsible for developing our digital repository). This
process works well with inactive databases or data sets which can be
treated as discrete electronic objects.

In larger systems, such as SAP, the data archive is extracted from the
larger system into archival objects - essentially flat files of data -
which are smaller in size, can still be accessed by the system, but can
also be disposed of as record sets when their retention has expired.
Typically these files cover, for example, accounts payable data for a given
fiscal year.

I think the issue of "database as record" often is confused by the fluid
nature of active databases. Typical of the two examples I have given is the
application of records keeping requirements based on events in the data's
life cycle: a period of inactivity, or the extraction of data based on a
time parameter (the need for extraction often driven by a deterioration in
system performance). We've also addressed these issues during system
migrations.

Such events - system performance, level of activity, system migration - are
not typically triggers that we as records managers have recognized as
driving disposition in the "normal course of business". I would argue that,
in most cases, these are perfectly legitimate triggers for engaging in
normal disposition activities, being no different than an office cleaning
out the files when they run out of floor space, an employee cleaning out
her desk upon retirement, or even accessions of hard copy driven by office
moves. They are also triggers which facilitate disposition, and
(particularly in the case of migration and system performance) can save
significant amounts of money.

--
Dwight Wallis
Multnomah County Records Management