From:
Laurie Sletten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2013 16:55:42 +0000
Hi Sylvia,
I am in the process of updating the University of California's retention schedule.

In a previous position I was involved with design and construction records on a project to repair or replace bridges in Oregon.

"Architectural records" is a broad category that can mean many, many different records.  You may have capital planning records, environmental assessment and mitigation records, bid records, contract records and change orders, design specifications and drawings, shop drawings, inspection records, certified payroll records, construction contractor's meeting minutes, warranties, operation and maintenance records, final red-lined drawings and as built drawings - to name just a few.

Not all of them will need to be maintained for long-term purposes.  To be honest, I try to avoid the term 'the life of the building' because it is difficult to really define.  For example, even though a building may be demolished, the foundation and utilities may still remain.  Is the building dead or is it still alive?  I am trying out the phrasing 'as long as the university owns the building' as my archivist contact has told me that due to 9-11, there is limited archival value to the as-built drawings.

If you have bond funds that are used during the project, the records documenting the use of those funds will need to be retained for a long time.  The IRS requirement is 3 years after bond maturity.

If you have federal funding from grants and contracts, there are their requirements as well.

You may also have state auditor and state statute of limitations issues - how long can you sue for latent design issues?

Have fun!
Laurie

Laurie Sletten, CRM, CA
Records Retention Schedules Project Lead
Information Technology Services
University of California - Office of the President
1111 Franklin St., 7th fl.
Oakland, CA 94607
Phone: (510) 987-9411