From:
David Gaynon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2013 09:57:07 -0700
I can see this issue from both sides and each enterprise needs to do its own evaluation.  But one reason for a departmental sign off  is a basic rule that I always try to follow, which put most simply is "don't do anything stupid & think about what you are doing."  And this means that one should not blindly follow a policy when such an action presents a significant risk to the enterprise.  It's sort of like the cartoon that shows a car driving off a cliff as it passes a sign reading no turns or stops allowed.  There are times when 100% compliance is not in an organization's best interest.

Policies are imperfect documents drafted by human beings and it may be wise to create an opportunity for people to say yes the policy says these records need to be destroyed but the policy will adversely impact our operations  and needs to be rethought.  People should be encouraged to think about what they are doing. In some situations having a departmental sign off or a 30 day notice in which to raise objections provides such an opportunity.

David B. Gaynon
Huntington Beach CA, USA