From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2013 10:31:58 -0700
Suffice to say, there is nowhere this discussion can go that won't be
political and most of it will involve opinions and not facts.  As with the
fires in commercial record centers that resulted in total or near total
losses, there will be a lot of finger pointing.  Facts to keep in mind when
reading the articles below- there were over 2000 people working in the
record center the day of the fire and the fire protection was nearly non
existent... and at the time of the fire (1973), there were employee lounges
on the floors where records were stored AND smoking was allowed in the
building.  The fire started on the 6th floor of a 6 floor building, fire
fighters were on scene within 4 minutes of the first alarm and in less than
2 hours, the fire had grown so large, they had to abandon the building..

As a member of the NFPA 232 Committee, I can tell you this fire has been
discussed a number of times and I've read a lot of the background material
on it.  Here are links to some of the available documents:

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/fire-1973.html

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/NPRC_fire_a_study_in_disaster.pdf

http://veterans.house.gov/witness-testimony/mr-scott-levins

And here's an article with some good advice on what to do if you are unable
to obtain your military records, or those of a family member,  from the
NPRC:

http://www.vietnow.com/va-claims-records/

So please... can we keep speculation to a minimum and also keep the
discussion civil?

Larry

--
*Lawrence J. Medina