From:
Elaine McLellan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2013 09:19:46 -0600
I have been lurking around this listserv for the last 2 years as a novice in
records management.  I finally have a burning inquiry that I hope someone
can help with.  First, I will let you know a bit of history.  I was seconded
to a project for our municipality to find and implement a document and
records management system.  I have only been working in records for 2 years
but I have learned much about this profession and I admire those who have
committed themselves to the principles of records and information
management.  We have successfully chosen a system and are slogging away at
implementation which is very tough and can be very frustrating for many
reasons.  We are starting from the ground up without no approved policy or
procedures.  These are written now and in the process of being approved.

Our population is 61,000 and city staff at 1300 give or take during seasonal
work. We have 20 departments that are very silo driven, including an Energy
Division that includes Electric Distribution and Power Plant (production),
as well as gas distribution, gas marketing and NGPR Natural Gas and
Petroleum Resources (production).

My question is:  does anyone have a classification and retention schedule
for MUNICIPALLY OWNED AND OPERATED electric and gas utilities.  We are a
unique community in Southern Alberta and I am kind of stumped about how I
should design a "municipal" gas and electric retention schedule.  I need to
adhere to Federal, Provincial and municipal legislation as well as find
relevant natural gas and electric production and distribution retention for
records in a municipality.

If someone would like to contact me offline:  [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Much appreciated any help you can provide.

Elaine McLellan, B.A., CPM, CH-ERIM, CH-SPRM

Records Management Team

City Clerk Department

City of Medicine Hat