From:
John Montana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2013 12:16:01 -0400
Julie wrote:  Is anyone else experiencing this problem at their agency?
Is there a solution?

This sort of poor labeling and identification is a very widespread
problem, not just in government agencies, but in business as well.  I
have seen it many, many, many times in my career.  And you're right,
it's very serious, and very costly to fix if there's much of it.  In a
very large-scale environment, where the problem has been ignored for a
long period of time, the number of unidentifiable boxes can reach tens
or even hundreds of thousands; at which point the problem is close to
being un-fixable.  I once participated in a bid on a project where there
were right at 900,000 unidentifiable boxes.  Not surprisingly, when they
found out what dealing with it was likely to cost, the project stalled.

To avoid it, training and awareness is key -- it's remarkable how many
people never contemplate the question of how they're going to get a box
back from storage when they're labeling it, or how proper labeling and
identificaion might play into that.  But then, I agree with one of the
other commenters -- you need a gatekkeeper to monitor compliance on
boxes going out.  And, you need to make the offender re-do their own
work until they get it right.  Once they figure out that the box will
just keep coming back until they get it right, they'll start being more
attentive.

--
Best regards,

John