From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2014 08:10:36 -0800
On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> E-records to have longer archival life - Times Of India
> PUNE: Computerized records of birth and death certificates, land, passport,
> Aadhaar and ration cards among others should now have a longer archival
> life. The city-based Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC)
> has developed a national digital repository that will preserve all
> important government documents in the electronic format.
>
> Source:
>
> http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2014-01-10/pune/46065761_1_electronic-data-dinesh-katre-c-dac

"However, the software, in which the data is fed, may become outdated after
a period of time, resulting in loss of data.  The repository will prevent
any such loss as it will open files in the standard file formats including
word, '.jpg' for images, maps, video or audio."

Word?  Did they ACTUALLY SAY WORD?!?! Since when has ANYONE considered Word
a format that prevents loss or has a long life?  It is a format that is
well known to become "...outdated after a period of time, resulting in loss
of data..."  If users don't open and refresh files, storing in whatever the
current format is every 3-4 years, you can lose access to style sheets,
fonts and other items that are no longer supported by current versions of
the software.  Even if you DO open and re-save the files, you may have
corrupted content.

And I get .JPG, but what are they using for "maps, video or audio" ??

"C-DAC has also issued some standards and guidelines for all state
governments, which will have to forward them to the software companies they
hire in future. The software company will have to follow these guidelines
and standards so that the data is compatible with the repository created by
the C-DAC."

It would be nice to see the "...guidelines and standards so that the data
is compatible with the repository created..." especially seeing as they are
allowing this process/practice to be used for "...computerized records of
birth and death certificates, land, passport..."

I'm sure this has to be a 'day forward' practice, I wonder if there is any
consideration being given to imaging existing records and accepting images
into this repository that will be associated with new records being
generated?  If not, there may be problems in the future managing a
fractured repository of paper and electronic records, especially given the
vital nature of the record types mentioned.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972*