From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2014 10:35:52 -0500
I'd like to step in here and suggest that we really read what Glen said -
"All IT folk *I've worked with over 30 years *deliberately do not and
will not understand records management, they always insist it means what
I call archiving."

I don't see this as a broad generalization but rather a comment on his
experience.  I will agree with Glen that most IT folks that I have worked
with do not have an understanding of what Records Management is about.  I
know there are others who have crossed the bridge - from both sides - but
it is minimal.

I do not really understand how to build a cabinet but I do understand how
to organize, label, store, retrieve and destroy the records from a cabinet;
and I do not really understand how to build an electronic storage system
but I do understand how the records must be organized/classified, labeled,
stored, retrieved and destroyed.   When file cabinets were built only for
letter size documents the manufacturers soon understood that the cabinets
needed to accommodate legal size documents as well.  I hope that as
designers of electronic document/data systems understand the requirements
for life cycle management of "records" they will build the systems to meet
these demands.

Let's not become like the broader society and jump on every comment made as
a broad generalization - especially when the comment speaks to a person's
experience.  We will see improvement in the collaboration between records
managers and technologists when our difficult and controversial experiences
become the minority.
Thanks,

Mary

Mary W. Haider, MBA, CRM
Records & Information Manager and Consultant
865-983-1371