From:
Frederic Grevin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2014 15:20:40 +0000
David Quinney commented

"The folks I speak with, however, tell me that best practices are to avoid at all costs creating duplicate or shadow files. There is a risk that multiple files may contain inconsistent information and that causes problems if litigation results. Even worse, sometimes well intentioned  managers who control remote files may insert information into a shadow file that creates problems. For example, a manager may insert an email into a duplicate file that documents poor performance but may provide a basis for a claim that the employee was unfairly treated or targeted because other files didn't contain any emails. Last, travelling or duplicate files create havoc with retention and disposition policies as Carolyn correctly pointed out."

	and

"Solutions do exist that allow personnel files to be securely shared without the risks or problems duplicate files create. In addition, those same solutions avoid the need to create new files upon an employee's transfer, allow permission-based access and ensure retention policies are enforced."

All of this is true. The "initial solution" I described in my posting was a means of solving the problem IN THE SHORT TERM, without having to deploy an entirely new system (a process which can take years).

The eventual solution was the creation of the NYCAPS system. It is far more effective and efficient, and comes with fewer risks. But it took YEARS to design, build and deploy. The "travelling personnel file" was devised and implemented over a much shorter span of time, and it worked well enough as an interim solution.

You might call this "the strategy of the incremental approach" (with all due respect to Capt. Sir Basil Liddell-Hart!).

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin
Vice-President, Records Management
New York City Economic Development Corporation
www.nycedc.com
212-312-3903 (w)
212-618-5722 (f)