From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2014 12:51:41 -0800
On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Joshua Hargrafen
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I have never been to the AIIM Conference before and I am considering
> attending for the first time.  Can anyone tell me how it compares/contrasts
> with the ARMA Conference? I am not trying to pick one over the other, just
> understand the differences to know if it would be worthwhile.

I started to respond with "Same KoolAid, different flavor"... but then I
remembered recently seeing this story:

http://www.foodbeast.com/2014/01/20/today-i-learned-froot-loops-are-actually-all-the-same-flavor/#uQ8dE7tDc7moOFto.99

...and so I had to rethink my response.

So now, I'll say Same KoolAid, different GLASS  =)

All of these events have some value for attendees- many go for different
reasons, and in the past, there were distinct differences.

If you wanted to engage and interact with practitioners and professionals
employed in the field or RM and get reasonable educational opportunities
and a relatively DEEP social experience, you would go to ARMA... if you
wanted to see all the new gimmicks, gadgets and software and have a
relatively DEEP vendor experience, you would go to AIIM.

Over time, they've become more similar than they were before- AIIM still
has more vendors, gadgets and gizmos... but they've increased their
educational offerings... sadly, many are delivered by vendors and are built
around their product offerings.

ARMA on the other hand has way fewer vendors, gadgets and gizmos (in the
classic sense) but now you are being sold to more by the individuals in the
association who are pushing ARMA's 'product lines'... and if you're getting
the blast mailings and offers, it's as if Campbell's Alphabet Vegetable
soup got spilled on the screen.

And yes, AIIM is doing a lot of this too, they have no lack of Alphabet
Vegetable soup that they're offering... it's just got a bit of a different
flavor to the broth.

So all I can suggest is if you're looking to implement a new system, or
upgrade from an existing technology... AIIM may have a bit greater traction
for you... if you're looking for professional interaction with others
';engaged' in the RIM field, ARMA (or MER) might be more in line with what
you're after.

If you want to save your $$ and don't really seek either but want to learn
more about "The Way Things Work", start scouring the Interwebs and look for
case studies, white papers, search up topics and subjects aligned with what
you're into and suck it all up like a sponge!

Larry

(BTDubs... I've attended 16 ARMA and 11 AIIM conferences over the years)

--

*Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CA RIM Professional since 1972*