From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2014 12:11:31 -0700
On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Deanna Brouillette <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Knowledge management is still very much around, it's just a very different
> beast than RM.  It's about capturing knowledge from experienced people so
> that it can be shared and so that it's not lost when those people leave -
> seems much more common in scientific fields.  Has nothing to do with RM /
> IG, although I do remember back when they tried to shoehorn us into it.
>
> Thank you,
> Deanna L. Brouillette, CRM

Not exactly.  This is "Knowledge Capture" or what has long been known as
the process of harvesting organizational information through oral
histories.
http://www.ysc.com/our-thinking/article/the-foresight-to-capture-organizational-insight

Even the Wikipedia page on KM, which contradicts itself a few times, (as
Wikipedia is wont to do) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_management

What Bruce was speaking of, and what was being sold to us by certain
"acronymed associations", was a lipstick on a pig version of Records
Management, an attempt to "sex it up" so peopel wouldn't associate it with
dusty old boxes stored in basements, filled with 'things that had to be
retained but were never used'.

Truth was, those of us who were in the field and had strongly encouraged
our organizations to NOT store their information assets in places where
they could be damaged or lost and to index, catalog and USE the information
contained in them as a business asset were ahead of that curve.  And we
also saw the means and methods of creating and capturing information
changing and pressed to be involved in these new forms and formats of
information... and eventually those who pushed KM said...

"Oh, it's CONTENT... let's look at ways of selling Content Management as
what we're doing!! "

And the rest of the story is what has brought us to where we are today.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972*