From:
Nick Inglis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2014 02:50:09 -0400
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>If your process is designed properly to determine HOW and WHEN content is
>ingested into an ERMS and controls are established as to WHO can access it
>and WHAT they can do with it, then you should be relatively confident that
>you are doing more than simply 'removing the pointer/indexing' that
>provides access to the image/content stored and that the content itself is
>actually deleted.
>
>Where you run into problems is if a wide range of users can access, copy,
>re-store and re-purpose the content .But, IF IT IS A RECORD and your policy
>clearly states a record must remain irrefutable and cannot be copied,
>revised, re-named, or re-used... then you shouldn't have a problem.  NOW...
>if it's an ECMS and you store "Records" and "Content", then you're talking
>about a whole different thing. And it's even a bigger issue is "content"
>can at some point in it's life be declared a record.

Larry, I understand where you are coming from here. Not all Records come into
our organizations as Records, most start their life as organizational content, they
are passed through email, cloud services (rogue or otherwise), ECM systems,
mobile apps, etc.

Every time that content changes hands, is modified, is utilized, it is duplicating
across multiple systems. While the declared Record has remained irrefutable,
what are we doing about the multiple copies that were never declared and aren't
managed with the same care as the ERMS.

The purpose of disposition is to reduce organizational risk and ensure
compliance, does disposition achieve those goals (in most, or many,
organizations) anymore? No, I don't believe that it does and I think many would
agree with me on that point. Disagree with how I propose we solve the problem,
that's fine. However, this is a problem that needs to be addressed by the RM
community, otherwise it will be addressed by CIOs/CTOs and lead to further
marginalization of the RM profession.