From:
David Gaynon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2014 08:34:19 -0700
The following was written by the former director of the Nixon Library (Timothy Naftali) who asserts that the Nixon Foundation just did not want someone who knew too much about the Viet Nam war to head up the library.  In my mind, this raises some serious questions about the whole presidential library structure. Why do we have them and why do the families, friends, supporters, and private foundations of the former presidents have so much to say about the operations of a government function.  I was wondering what other democratic countries do. Does anyone know if something similar occurs in Canada, the UK, Australia or New Zealand? How are the records of their prime ministers handled after they leave office?

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-naftali-nixon-library-renovation-20140515-story.html#
Federal regulations don't grant presidential foundations veto power over the choice of a presidential library director, but they are consulted, and Washington prefers they embrace the selection. To that end, from the time of Lawrence's selection in 2012 until well into 2013, the National Archives tried to arrange for its candidate to meet with the Nixon Foundation. But various insiders in the process told me that the foundation stalled, coming up with one excuse after another to not meet with Lawrence.... As taxpayers, we all pay for presidential libraries, which are supposed to serve all visitors, whether or not they admire the president whose name is over the door. Presidential libraries are essential sources for information about a particular White House. They contain every document and email sent to or created by a president. Library directors don't just run museums. They also oversee the processing of and access to archival materials, they run public programs and they set the tone for tours that bring in thousands of students a year.

David B. Gaynon
Huntington Beach CA, USA