From:
Frederic Grevin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2014 14:29:58 +0000
David said:  "I have read quite a few ANSI, ISO, and other standards for imaging but I am wondering what others are actually doing in their organizations to ensure quality. Our volume for available resources is too restrictive to consider 100% QC so I am looking for a viable alternative."

1.    Ensure you have a clear and complete specification for the conversion work, and that relevant sections of it, printed in large type, are posted at every stage of the conversion process.

2.    Ensure everyone involved in the conversion process understands and accepts that quality is more important than quantity.

3.    Try to ensure the documents being scanned are easily scannable (see ISO 10196 2003-03-01, 2nd Ed., "Document imaging applications - Recommendations for the creation of original documents"). This is easier for documents produced in-house, or produced by sources over which you have some control.

4.    Ensure the quality control procedures of both images and index (don't forget the index!!) are performed by personnel NOT responsible for the scanning or the indexing data entry.

5.    Use both procedures in ANSI/AIIM MS 44-1988 (R1993) "Recommended Practice for Quality Control of Image Scanners" for inspection of the images.

6.    Do not attempt to QC 100% of the images-besides being a resource hog, it's not statistically useful (or so I'm told, by QA statisticians). Instead, use ANSI/AIIM TR34 -1996 "Sampling Procedures for Inspection by Attributes of Images in Electronic Image Management (EIM) & Micrographics Systems" to devise appropriate sampling rates for each of the two inspection procedures described in ANSI/AIIM MS 44.

7.    If you are performing the conversion in-house, pay a third party to perform spot checks on your work (same procedures, lower sampling rates).

8.    If the conversion is being performed by a vendor, spot-check the vendor's work, as described above.

Good luck!

Fred

Frederic J. Grevin

Vice-President, Records Management

New York City Economic Development Corporation

www.nycedc.com

212-312-3903 (w)

212-618-5722 (f)