From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2014 08:56:06 -0700
On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Bruce White <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Yup.  And what is the consequences for not meeting these goals?  I suspect
> the GAO or NARA will issue reports that identify non-compliance (the GAO
> and VA IG have reported numerous problems with the VA system over the past
> 10 years and look what has happened - not much it appears.)  But unless the
> threat of reduced funding or staffing are on the table the Records Officers
> will be spinning their wheels in trying to meet the requirements.
>
> By the way one of the actions is to establish a formal records management
> series by December 31st, 2013.  I came across a draft position flysheet on
> OPM's website that spells out the general information and qualification
> standards for the series (
>
> http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/reference-materials/draft-position-classification-flysheet-0308.pdf
> )
> but difficult to tell what more has been done.  Would be interested in
> knowing if there has been any further movement in establishing this
> series?

Catch-22 or Double Edged Sword here Bruce.

Cut funding and/or staffing and you'll have even LESS of a chance to
achieve the goals.

The RM Staff in the Fed Agencies is dwindling and aging out, no new blood
coming in, too many of the "Indians" have moved up to "Chief" status and
there's no one to do the work.

And even if staffing levels had remained constant and funding had increased
annually, there were insufficient resources to achieve the lofty goals
set.  They ALL required technology deployment and training, and we both
know how rapidly THAT happens in the Federal Arena =)  (Can you say ERA or
Virtual Case File?)

I agree, IG and GAO reports will be written and fists will be shaken in
anger, and Agencies will respond to the reports with 'mea culpa' statements
and promise to do better.... until 5 years later, when the next report is
written that cites nothing in the last report was fixed and there are MORE
deficiencies.  All the while each Agency will file an annual self
assessment report on RM, declaring "Nothing to see here, move on now, move
on...." and no one AT NARA bothers to truth check these in real time.

And NOW not only are there Agency Records Officers (AROs), but there are
Senior Agency Officials (SAOs) REQUIRED at each Agency... so the BS gets
deeper and the boots get pulled up higher.  And *NO* I'm NOT talking about
any one Agency in particular, there's no need to... they're all facing the
same problems.

Larry

*Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CA RIM Professional since 1972*