From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2014 14:02:55 -0700
On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Shelly Smith <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> We are in the process of doing Email clean-up project for our Agency.
> Suggestions include converting business value emails to PDF and saving to
> shared drives.  Concerns have been raised that metadata may be lost and
> these business value records would loose their authenticity if requested
> for an Access to Information and Privacy Request or for litigation.
> Since date, time, and all relevant information from an email is saved and
> searchable when converted to .pdf using Adobe Acrobat, would there really
> be any issues?   Doesn't .pdf help authenticate information in some
> situations?
>
> Thanks for you advice and input with this matter

In some instances, email automatically collapses headers when saved in its
native applications, so when converted to PDF, all of this information
would be lost UNLESS the headers were expanded to "full" or "show all",
before capture.

Also, if you have 'lists' of recipients, simply capturing the list name
results in a loss of information as to who the recipients were, so you'd
have to have some means of expanding out those lists to actual addresses or
having a copy of them in a related file.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972*