From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2014 01:30:18 -0400
Keep in mind, I am not a Records Manager and I know some may think vendors have nothing to add here.  And especially one who is a “Pure Salesman” and as they say in the “Music Man”  I am mighty proud to say it.

Please! Please for love of all that is decent and good………Seize the Day!  This is the biggest news story in the world about pure Records Management and Information Governance.  Where are all those people who were pretending to be Information Governators??

You should be writing letters to Editors about how this is ridiculous and that even small business has back up policies to protect against this sort of issue.  I am looking at my Sever to my right that backs up my computer.  Every 9 minutes, it deduplicates my drive.  Then I have a second server that backs up those guys.  I lock my back up server in a Fire Vault each night.  And I use Mac computers because I am so illiterate I can’t work those fancy computer the IRS has.  (When they audit you they have six different copies???  Where did they come from and they top back 7 years. )

Does the IRS not have a Records Manager?  What is their name?  I know hundreds of Records Managers that do this right.  You should be calling the IRS to help them out.

Look up in the RECMGMT archives over the last 10 years.   Who are the consultants who were hired by the IRS to work on their records management.  Point the Congress to those consultants.  They know where these files are.  You guys get this!  You know that every email has a sender and a receiver; or more than one.

A vigorous debate here is exactly what you Governators need to do to spur your recognition.  Show your brilliance here!  I am being serious.  This is the greatest public relations boon the records management profession has ever had.  FOX News wants your phone call.  Drudge has been ringing you, pick up!  Glenn Beck says repeatedly “Can someone explain this to me, how can an agency this big can be this clueless.”  I hear everybody talking about this but Records Managers and Information Governance experts.

This is your moment in the Sun.  Send a memo to Legal to discuss this issue. Explain to anyone who will listen how records management is supposed to work.  Use this as an example why you don’t let IT manage your ERMS.  I have yet to hear one real expert from one of the consulting companies speak up.  Who designed their computer system?

Can one of you explain about how a forensics consultant can rebuild those drives.  It happens every day.  The spotlight will be lit up here for a few more days.  Time to shine people.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134