From:
"Toner, Alex John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2014 11:03:10 -0400
Mike,

I don't think you're being old-fashioned at all, as I had the same reservations and concerns. We're currently in the midst of a big transition from traditional microfilm preservation practices to imaging to electronic document management systems, as well managing born-digital records themselves.

Our enterprise system (PeopleSoft) manages and produces certain electronic records, the big one being transcripts. We're moving towards replacing certain paper-based business processes with automated electronic workflows (grade changes, etc...), at the end of which a born-digital XML document - comparable to the paper form - is generated and retained in our EDMS, ImageNow. The other option is to simply us the details page in PeopleSoft as a record of the transaction, which would contain all required information the paper form would. I know other universities are taking both routes.

For now, our business processes (withdrawals, course repeats, class section updates, etc..) are still heavily paper based. For those records that require permanent retention, we're moving away from microfilm and imaging them, whence the digital image becomes the official record. The idea then is to phase out paper entirely as business processes are transitioned entirely to PS.

I'd be happy to discuss in more detail off-list.

Alex J. Toner
Archives & Records Manager
Office of the University Registrar
University of Pittsburgh