Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2014 11:21:48 -0500
Extending the Life of a Story Through Taxonomy at National Public Radio |
The Signal: Digital Preservation

Keeping track of all the stories NPR has produced is one of several places
librarians enter the content life cycle.  In the 1970s librarians
established a workflow to create a proxy for each story in electronically
searchable descriptive metadata.  That process has evolved and carries us
into the present day.  A key feature of this legacy is the ability to
search across the years for all stories about a particular topic, person or
geographic region.  Need all the stories where Ronald Reagan’s voice is
heard?  Done.  Do you need a list of all the coverage on automobile
recalls?  Paris, France?  Extreme sports?  You can find them in one search.
To do this we leverage taxonomies: controlled vocabularies of terms
(topics, place names, people names).  The taxonomies that NPR librarians
use have evolved since the 1970s and they play a critical role in
facilitating searches across our archive of 800,000 radio stories.
Taxonomy provides one aspect of a structured data approach that makes
exploration (and possible future remixing) of our stories possible in ways
we haven’t thought of yet.

http://1.usa.gov/1sCwmho

Source:
http://blogs.loc.gov/digitalpreservation/2014/07/extending-the-life-of-a-story-through-taxonomy-at-national-public-radio/
See if people are clicking on this link: http://1.usa.gov/1sCwmho+
Try the bitly.com sidebar to see who is talking about a page on the web:
https://bitly.com/pages/sidebar