From:
"Nemchek, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2014 17:35:42 +0000
I think the time frame depends totally on (1) size of organization, (2) amount of resources (people, technology, budget) devoted to the project, (3) level of detail that is going into the work, and (4) the project approach.  For an international organization of 1,000 employees, I've been working on this type of project for over 5 years.  However, that's because the approach we've taken is to roll out an information governance framework -- including policies, procedures, taxonomy, inventories, electronic record file plans, and retention rules -- to each business unit individually, with priority given to those business units that have been identified as high risk areas.  We have 40+ discrete business units across 16 geographical jurisdictions.  I've taken some of these units all the way through a 17-phase information governance rollout project, and some I haven't worked with at all.  Others are somewhere in the middle of the project.  I think 10-14 months is doable for a quick and dirty retention schedule updating project, but you could do it quicker if you outsource the legal research updating.  Developing an organizational taxonomy/file plan might take longer.

--Lee

Lee R. Nemchek, MLS, CRM, IGP
Vice President, Enterprise Records Governance
Oaktree Capital Management, L.P.
333 South Grand Avenue, 28th Floor
Los Angeles, CA  90071
p +1 213 830-6252   f +1 213 830-8504