From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:38:57 -0400
I've worked on both side of the aisle, so to speak.  The principles are
basically the same but there are a number of difference:
- On the federal side you have to get approval from a "higher" agency, NARA
for new records series or deviations from the General Schedule, a long and
in some case, laborious process. Although NARA has tried to reduce the time
between submission and approval, still can be a long wait. In the private
sector, this is all done in-house and in many cases, much smoother.
- The retention for federal government records tends to be longer than
those in the private sector.  The "3%" rule for permanent records doesn't
always apply to federal agencies; their time horizon is typically longer.
- Lots more legal research is required for a private firm, especially if it
has operations in more than one state and country.  For example a
healthcare company I worked for had operations in 47 states.  Each one had
their own rules for maintaining records (medicaid, pharmacy, business
operations, etc.)
- Federal agencies are suppose to follow 36 CFR Sub-chapter B for managing
and disposing of records.  In the private sector, you create and implement
your own rules.
- The private sector tends to get hit harder if recordkeeping laws are not
followed - there are lot more sticks used than carrots.  I've seen
employees lose their jobs for not complying with the company's polices; not
so much at federal agencies.
-  As a private company all of your polices, procedures and your retention
schedule are considered propriety and rarely if ever shared with other
organizations.  In government everything is for the most part public
information.

Give me more time to think about it I suspect I can list a few more...

Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Virginia Beach, VA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bblanco

*"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep
moving." -- Albert Einstein*