From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 14:10:58 -0400
Ana asked, in part:

I'm interested in finding out (especially for other government agencies -
state or federal level but opened to best practices from everyone):
*       What are your retention policies for these types of records
*       How do you define an incident (if that defines the trigger for your
retention)
*       What is your implementation process
*       Any additional information, procedures you could provide...

---

Additional questions that come to mind (understanding these may vary by
agency whom the records belong to) include:

-Is this a reasonable retention period based on technology in use? Some
systems may overwrite sooner unless that which is considered an incident is
taken off the original place recorded.
-What is the retention for non-incident recordings? Again if an incident is
not recognized/reported soon enough it may be deleted/overwritten before
preserved.

Many/most newer security systems I am aware of record on a hard drive with
limited space that loops like a home DVR, overwriting the oldest content
with new content, unlike older systems where tape is removed, replaced,
stored for some time and then reused.

Tod Chernikoff, CRM, IGP, CIP
Silver Spring MD
www.twitter.com/tchernik

>>> These comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
family, friends, employer or any other organization I am associated with.
<<<