From:
"Seibolt, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 21:09:58 +0000
Glenn Sanders stated,

Rob, I don't necessarily agree with the statement about changing record series. The record series will stay the same, the evidence in this case a tape is noted as on litigation hold.  When the hold is lifted it follows the original record series retention.

From Rob-
My thoughts were garden variety scenario of a situation that drags out for 6-12 months.  I could see such a record being keep with case files. I can see more than a few corporate or general counselors raising an eyebrow when we say destroy it immediately based on its previous retention. This would likely be the case since the original 120 days would surely have elapsed by the time everything is said and done. Gov't investigators can look into employee files several years after an incident especially when it comes to situations involving employees (or former employees) on the job. You could also get into the semantics of the original record vs. the incident copy being kept separately and viewed as being in different records series and so forth.

I also would be nervous about destroying it if it was the "official" incident record copy immediately after a resolution. Most legal/insurance case files will probably have their own retention which is likely somewhat longer than the original video records of non-incident recordings. I based my judgment on the "function" the particular record in question had come to serve. This is probably less true in organizations with less regulations or regulatory scrutiny. I believe the answer comes down to the usual "it depends". That's why you hire records managers - to figure those things out for a specific organization!

Rob Seibolt, CRM
Supervisor Records Management
Kansas City, MO

http://www.mriglobal.org

This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by facsimile, e-mail or phone and delete all copies of the message.