From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 23:16:54 -0700
Listing those who I consider mentors might be a strike against them…….

But first and foremost, this Listserve and everyone on it has been a great service to me over the years.  Like a newspaper, not every topic is of interest.  But then;  so many are amazingly so. I developed my interest in RM here.  (Please quit changing its name KM, RIM, IG.)

Here is my fantasy records team of proven performers:

Larry Medina is on my list at the very top. He is the QB. The Brains that I most admire.
Peter Kurilecz is the fullback that keeps plunging the middle making the tough yards.
Ginny Jones is my swift flanker back that races around writing papers, guidelines, books, et al.
Gary Link has been a recent mentor.  A single thread led to an article being published in NIRMA that was all his work.  ( I am a bad man……..?)
The President of ARMA who raced in to defend the organization against big time opponents.  I will not mention her name as it may hurt her as her actions were so heroic they tried to have her fired.  What cowards.  Larry and I worship her courage and steadfastness.
Joanne Gallagher of Schering Plough.  What a warrior princess.
Rae Cogar the most dominating Records Manager/lawyer in the league.
Sharon Kuhns as the women of greatest integrity and undaunted courage. So very knowledgeable.
And of course, at Blindside Left tackle is Patrick Cunningham.  We sometimes differ but he is the Timex that never loses a second.
Fred Grevin who is the pulling guard that clears the way for the star running backs. His RFP’s are a thing of beauty. He is now on NFPA 232 and no one is kicking sand in our face anymore.
Richard King for stepping up to join NFPA 232. Hopefully his position is locked down. He does not post enough because his material is great.
Fred and Richard won’t know how much fortitude this will require until the next NFPA cycle but they will win the day; because they are mentors who carry the sword of knowledge into Standards and ISO battles.

And so many more. NIRMA is an amazing collection of records managers.  They take it seriously like I wish ARMA would.  They fight the good fight and a Standard is a Standard. NQA-1, Risk 2018, N45, ANSI IT9.11 and so many more.   And they help each other out so much. You should have read their “Outstanding Professional Balloting.   They mentor in the most amazing way.  It is as if Mother Theresa was the records manager helping other records managers.

And so many more.  I close with a little prayer for Alan Andolsen. What a sweetheart of a man and maybe the greatest records manager who ever lived.

Start the fog machine, raise the paper banner for our Fantasy Team of 2014.  Hurrah!!  Cue the Marching Band!!

I still have not named the defense….. and they come from NIRMA. William Clover is the mentor to end all mentors on their team. Denise Armentrout, Denise Pickett, Mary Binkholder, Lona Smith, Steve Matson, Rebecca Weissman, Jerry Lewis, Micehelle Smith, Rich Giska, Ken Barry, and Cheri Susner. To read the evaluations for their contribution to the Industry would make them blush and their parents proud.

Often Records Management is a thankless but vital role.  Recognition has to come from within.  Be proud as you come out that tunnel but look out for the Philly Fan leaning over the railing with a beer.  Those Philly Fans  booed and snowballed Santa so be careful out there.

I give you the honor that most nights,  ….that I wait up for the Digest to come in before I go to bed. Here it is 11:00 PM in Vegas at NIRMA and I am posting to the Listserve.  Who loves you baby? ………..

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM