From:
Lorinda Kasten-Lowerre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 13:22:30 -0700
Hi, James,

Here at American Honda Motor Co., Inc., I am the thing-a-ma-bob that does
that job.

Yes, changes in management and Record Coordinators are frequent.

I get a daily listing of personnel changes which I compare to my Excel file
of managers and Record Coordinators, and my records management system,
Accutrac.  I update these lists as needed.  Thanks to support from the
highest level in the formation of the Records Management program, the
policy is for each department to have a Record Coordinator, whether they
have physical records in storage or not.

Usually, the Administrative Assistant is the Record Coordinator because she
knows what the department does and what records they use.  A few managers
are Record Coordinators because they are the only associate in the
department.

When I become aware of a vacancy, either from the daily listing, rumor,
chance conversations in the halls, etc., I contact the manager, the
previous Record Coordinator, or another Record Coordinator in the
department.  Officially, the manager of the department names the Record
Coordinator for their department.  Unofficially, I also take the name of
the person who answers the Admin's phone,or the name the previous Record
Coordinator thinks is the new person and volunteers, as long as they are in
the department.

Periodically, the Records Manager sends an e-mail to all those managers
without Record Coordinators on my Excel file.

I send the new person a "Welcome New Record Coordinator" e-mail with an
Excel file of records in storage (if their department has any), the link to
the online resource of policies and procedures they will need, and my
contact information.

Hope this helps,

Lorinda Kasten-Lowerre
Records Management Analyst, Senior
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Torrance, California, USA
Member - The Orange County Chapter of ARMA International
<Check out Orange County California ARMA's website at ocarma.org
Larry Medina - "RM makes the rules; IT provides the tools".