From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2014 12:22:03 -0400
I recently attended a conference of records managers who are bound by government requirements and the discussion centered around the widespread use of Sharepoint software for collaborating on records by 98% of all government agencies and that the disappearance of these vast volumes of records by the IRS and EPA simply could not disappear so completely; as there are overlapping systems that would hold this same information. Why not subpoena the vendors providing the Sharepoint and ask them to explain how this information could be found or show us how it could be so completely wiped out when there is software designed to prevent such loss.

They also remarked how the records manger for the IRS was sitting behind the new head of the IRS, when he was claiming that everything was just gone, and that the RM’s face was contorting in pained expressions at the testimony.  Was that because he was so distraught at failing to do his job properly; or, was it because perjury was being committed?

Why is it that no one from the records management community steps up to demand the records managers of these organizations be called upon to discuss how their records management programs work. It is improbable that with all of the back up methodology existing in Information Technology, Records Management, NARA and Sharepoint that all of these records could all simultaneously disappear.

Wouldn’t there be a trail existing of this destruction?  And if there is…. then the records manager would be the entity that could reveal what happened. Why is there no discussion of bringing these people forward in every agency in question?

I have noticed that all of our famed IT consultants have gone silent.  Where is the Cloud community talking about how they can bring these records to light?  What they should be looking for is the consultant with such high level skills that they could make these records disappear at each and every overlapping point of redundancy.

I loved that when the issue of a redundant system was discussed the White House said that this system has so much information in it that it would be impossible to search it and find the missing information!  Really??  No one is going to call them on that?  Where is the Press on this?  Where is the IT Community? If this was true than the Cloud is worthless!!  This is what E-Discovery attorney do every day.

Hugh Smith
(610)  756-4440