From:
Lisa Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2014 16:30:02 +0000
From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Flynn
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Controlling entry to the profession

> I am a Librarian by degree and know that some library schools offer a
> RM certificate or track now.

To bad,  library has little to do with  RM, Good luck with that
	I think that my MLIS degree helps me be a better Records Manager. It gives me a very solid foundation to build upon.  It is the closest field of study that relates to RM.

To be an Archivist, it requires a graduate degree, and very specific
> coursework in library school.

Are you saying to be an Archivist you need an
(1) graduate degree
(2) MLS
Or three that some MLS programs offer archival courses

	An MLS is a graduate degree and to obtain a professional position in the field, it is a requirement for most jobs.   So, yes to be a professional Archivist, you need that MLS/MLIS degree. You can choose to choose to specialize in archival studies in library school.  It requires a different course load than just general studies.  Archivist have their own professional organization, Society of American Archivist (SAA).  http://www2.archivists.org/  Being a trained Archivist is an excellent precursor to RM.