From:
Sylvia Bly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2014 14:03:16 -0400
Hello, everyone!

I graduated from Wayne State University with my MLIS, with a concentration in Special Libraries.  I also acquired the Records Information Management Certification at the same time.  I entered the program initially when I went to an ARMA meeting in Detroit back in 2008-2009, where William LeFevre spoke about the now-discontinued RIM certification at WSU.

The classes I took were:

LIS 6780 Introduction to Records & Information Management (Professor Gearhart)
LIS 6800 IT: Records & Information Management (Professor Gearhart)
LIS 8500 Advanced Records & Information Management (Professor Jones)
LIS 7695 Practicum: Records & Information Management (with Sue Gerrity, President, ARMA Detroit)

These classes were required to obtain the certification, and it was intended that they assisted the student in working on the CRM, as well as granting the certification.

However, to answer the question, I think the two professions parallel very closely.  It all depends on what material you are working with.  As for certification, I don't think it is limited, but rather enhanced.

My .02 cents...

Sylvia Bly
Email:  [log in to unmask]