From:
"Toner, Alex John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2014 16:20:07 -0400
Hi all,

Entry into the archival/RM profession isn't necessarily limited by certifications in particular, but advancement may be, and certainly in today's market graduate training is required for entry. I graduated in 2011 from the University of Pittsburgh with my MLIS concentrated in archives, preservation, and records management. Since then, I've worked in both traditional archives and records management positions. Through my own experience as a semi-recent graduate - and those of my peers - it IS increasingly necessary to accept the diversification of the dual archival/RM skillset to optimize employment prospects.

That said, I do believe that distinctions of the two professions remain relevant based on the type of organization (history museum, corporation, government, private business, etc...) and work being conducted. Nevertheless, the historical connection between the two professions and the nature of today's information environment has generated a reduced demarcation between the two. My current position title is archives and records manager ( I know, right) however, I consider myself in broad terms as an "information manager" wearing archival and RM hats when performing certain duties.

Alex J. Toner
Archives & Records Manager
Office of the University Registrar
University of Pittsburgh