From:
Joshua Hargrafen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2014 17:50:39 +0000
At the risk of being ostracized, I am going to say that there is an every declining correlation between the worlds of Information Governance, Archival, and Library Sciences.  There are tenets of archival and library sciences such as classification and the protection of information that are incorporated into the role of an IG Professional as they address three of the 8 Principles.

Experience is king in the IG profession, mostly because you have to wear so many hats.  You need to be able to speak and understand IT, you need to be able to understand enterprise architecture at a high level, understand InfoSec, you need to be able to speak and understand legal, you must understand business processes, change management, and so many other aspects on top of the fiduciary duties as the organizational expert on information collection, classification, preservation, and  disposition.  This is where the disconnect lives, as those are not skills that you typically acquire as part of any one degree program.

Based on the discussion in the tweets, I think we all share a common frustration that entry point to the profession is such a mixed bag.  I, for one, came into the profession as an analyst with a background in computer programming (yuck), internet design (blah), and Political Science.  Once in the field I went back to school and got a degree in Business Management.  After six years I stepped out of that position and into my current position where I am building a program from the ground up.

I am not saying that a MLIS or Archivist cannot be an Information Governance Professional, but I will say that the degree alone is not a strong enough qualification for many openings under the heading of "Records Manager".

Josh Hargrafen IGP, CIP
Manager, Corporate Records
500 ACT Drive
Iowa City, IA, 52243-0168