From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2014 11:58:37 -0600
Josh, the problem is Rick Barry retired and Bill Roach no longer has any
spare time

*Subject:* Re: Records and Archives is not about 'information management'
*From:* Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]
<http://lists.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?LOGON=A2%3Dind0404%26L%3DRECMGMT-L%26P%3DR8635>
> *Reply-To:* Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]
<http://lists.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?LOGON=A2%3Dind0404%26L%3DRECMGMT-L%26P%3DR8635>
> *Date:*Thu, 8 Apr 2004 13:53:06 -0700 *Content-Type:*text/plain
*Parts/Attachments:*  [image: Parts/Attachments]text/plain
<http://lists.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A3=ind0404&L=RECMGMT-L&E=8bit&P=354237&B=--&T=text/plain%3b%20charset=iso-8859-1>
(55 lines)

Bill,
My experience is that we as a profession, think nothing as a cohesive group.

To the question of the day. I shall climb back on my soap box (those of you
that have read this before....). In order not go the way of the data
processors we must create a body inclusive in nature that will form the

basis of "information management" in the U.S. and the world. At a minimum
this body must equate to the AMA and/or the ABA.

Universities much graduate students with advanced degrees from programs
accredited by this body. Individuals with a degree would specialize in their

chose information management field. This could be RM, CA, ITS, Forms, etc...

In the area of specialization they would need to certify. In order to call
yourself a Records manager you would need to pass the exams, and the same

for all other "information management" professions.

The core of the body would be a sound code of ethics that is enforceable. We
will never be taken seriously until we can be held accountable
professionally.

The barriers are blurred right now. We need to create a base knowledge that
all professionals in "information management" share. A DBA should not be
shocked to learn that the information in the database is a record and needs

to comply with the retention schedule. An Archivist needs to understand the
nature of databases and the lifecycle of a record in an electronic
environment.

Specialization within the body will allow for survival of the profession.

The world will be a better place for it. This body as it is created will
need to be global in scope and dimension (ask Rick Barry if you think I am
wrong).

Bill Roach can do this in his spare time.

Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Joshua Hargrafen <[log in to unmask]