From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2014 13:43:29 -0500
On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Marianna Symeonides <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello all. This is my first post to the list so an introduction is in
> order.

Welcome to the list!

> most of my frustration and that of other new professionals stems from the
> fact that professional development, in the form of certifications (and
> conferences, though that did not come up in the Twitter conversation) is
> expensive for those of us who are just starting out in the field and/or who
> work in the public sector.
>
> I think we've all experienced that at some point in our careers. As I see
it sitting for a certification or attending a conference (regional or
national)  is just investing in yourself. Maybe you can't attend a national
conference every year, but budget for at least every other year. Yes
certifications can be pricey, but will it help you advance your career? If
you continue on in the RM field then sitting for the CRM exam would be a
good choice, but what about the other alphabet soup of certifications? You
just need to decide which ones will help define you to a potential
employers. The key with certifications is the maintenance requirement ie
continuing education. My career has morphed and I'm looking for more
positions that involve information governance. There are many who will also
say that a certification doesn't prove anything, but for employers it does
help them sort out the applications.  Which is more important gaining
knowledge or having a daily latte? or a new iphone? we all have to make
choices or as Yogi Berra said "when yo come to the fork in the road, take
it.

> Additionally, those of us who have a MSIS (or similar) wonder - does our
> degree mean much in the RIM field? When someone hiring for RIM jobs sees
> "MSIS" after a name but not "CRM" or, in the coming years, "IGP," will that
> limit our chances of finding meaningful employment?

It all depends upon how you present yourself to that potential employer.
Accentuate the positive (as the song goes) explain that your Master's
degree has provided you with a solid grounding in the practices and
principles. as you progress in your career the Master's degree will be less
of an emphasis as the recruiter/employer is going to look at what you have
actually done.

Degrees, certifications and certificates are differentiators and as
mentioned above show that you have personally invested in your career.

> Thank you everyone for your responses so far. I hope to respond more fully
> to them outside of business hours, on my own time.

you're welcome

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA IGP
Dallas, Texas