From:
Kris Kobialka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2014 17:09:26 +0000
We have an account with Access for offsite storage. We have had several scuffles with them in the past over sudden rate hikes. This month I encountered a new charge on our bill. I was informed that it was for breach reporting. I was also told: "breach reporting service is similar to insurance coverage.  In the event of a breach (any loss of personal information, especially from customers) CSR [third party?] will report the breach to the appropriate authorities, and your company will not be hit with any fees or legal ramifications that could otherwise result." Well, we didn't enroll and are asking if we can opt out. My question for the list is: Does anyone else out there have this? Do we need it? I would think that the service provider would be liable for any leaks since they have physical custody of the records, but what do I know? BTW we do not have any electronic holdings placed with this company, just paper.

Kobi, Boston Architectural College Archivist/IRM