From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2014 07:40:53 -0700
On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 5:39 AM, PeterK <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Archival Neglect: Flooding of FBI Archives Destroyed Hundreds of Thousands
> of Pages of Files Related to Civil Rights
> The FBI’s file on the UKA was just one of the thousands of FBI files
> damaged by flooding during Hurricane Sandy. The FBI provided Muckrock.org
> with an incomplete list of more than 76,000 volumes of files destroyed by
> flooding at its Alexandria archive last year, and plans to release more
> lists in the future. Each volume contained between 1-250 pages of
> documents, making it likely that millions of pages of documents were lost.
> And this doesn’t even include the 3,000+ cubic feet of files destroyed in
> the FBI’s Moonachie, New Jersey
> <
> http://www.thecrimereport.org/news/inside-criminal-justice/2013-10-sandys-unwritten-toll
> >
> facility during the hurricane.
>
> Source:
>
> http://nsarchive.wordpress.com/2014/09/16/archival-neglect-flooding-of-fbi-archives-destroyed-hundreds-of-thousands-of-pages-of-files-related-to-civil-rights-movement-history/

And like the IRS and EPA 'scandals' regarding the mishandling of
record-level e-mails and other information, the blame for this falls
squarely on the shoulders of NARA.

If they were doing their job of monitoring and assessing the conditions
under which Federal Records were being managed by Agencies, NONE OF THIS
would have happened.

The failure to properly manage information and to store records in
sub-standard conditions are DIRECT violations of 36CFR, and NARA are the
"Federal Records Police", and 36CFR is their hammer.

I know this from personal/professional experience, after our organization
being the target of a NARA Assessment last year and knowing the types of
things they look at and the detail to which they review things... AND the
findings they issue, including the Corrective Action Plans.

The FBI was stupid; the NARA allowed them to be.

Larry

*Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*