From:
Charlie Sodano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2014 12:16:08 -0700
Hi Cherise,

>When you receive a closed out lab notebook from a scientist, what is the process you follow to get it archived? (back up, transportation, digitalization, etc.)  If you transport, what do you use?  (courier, FedEx, white glove service, etc.

)I've worked with many Pharma and Biotechs.  They pretty much follow the same procedure.  First, make sure that an entry is made in whatever index you are using to track the notebooks.  The next step varies from company to company.  Some send them out to be microfilmed and others have them scanned into pdf files.  The relevant thing here is to create some kind of metadata index so they can be found and  viewed by authorized personnel.  The index can be as simple as notebook number and scientists name.  Of course if you have document management software one can enter more metadata.  The paper notebooks are generally archived in some kind of secure, protected vault.  Most vendors have a procedure for pickup and delivery verification as well as a non-disclosure agreement.

Let me know if you have any further questions.  I'd be glad to help.

Charlie Sodano, PhD
CEO eOrganizedWorld
www.eorganizedworld.com